– Marcia Rose –
Marcia Rose is the founding and guiding teacher of The Mountain Hermitage and founding teacher of Taos Mountain Sangha. She has been studying and practicing Buddhist teachings and meditation with Asian and Western teachers since 1970, primarily in the Theravada-Vipassana (Path of the Elders) tradition. Her own teaching reflects a clear influence from the Burmese Mahasi Vipassana and Pa-Auk Forest Monastery lineages with authorization from Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw to teach Samatha and Jhanas in his lineage. She has also studied and practiced in the Dzogchen Tibetan Buddhist tradition with Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche, and Tsoknyi Rinpoche. Marcia was resident teacher for staff at the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) in Barre, MA from 1991-1995. Following this she was a teacher for the annual three-month retreat at IMS and has been an occasional visiting teacher for other IMS retreats since 1994. Marcia has been a regular visiting teacher at The Forest Refuge in Barre, MA since its beginning. She has taught Vipassana, Concentration, Brahma Vihara, and Creative Process retreats in various U.S. and international venues since 1995 and is dedicated to offering these ancient and timeless teachings in ways that make them accessible and authentic for contemporary culture.
Marcia Rose Health Update – July 26, 2023
The Mountain Hermitage’s beloved Guiding Teacher Marcia Rose is having a difficult recovery after undergoing emergency abdominal surgery in Taos on May 17th. Good news is that she was recently released from Red Willow Hospice care and is now under the care of her primary doctor and Mountain Home Health Care. She continues to have 24/7 care and has started physical and occupational therapy. Marcia recently wrote “I’ve been making some good progress the last few days with getting stronger, moving more, walking, and today I actually got dressed in sweat pants and a shirt/blouse, so I’m not laying down in bed in a nightgown 24/7. I’m tired now from doing all of this, so I will take a bit of a nap. Having the support and care from each of my sons…Robin and now Joe has made a huge impact and difference for me with all of this…along with the wonderful care givers that are here with me.”
We are heartened by recent improvements in her condition, but she still has a long recovery ahead of her. We know she would appreciate metta, good energy, prayers & healing wishes sent her way! If you have a personal message you’d like to relay to her, please email Kathy at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation (Dana offering) to Marcia, there are 2 ways that we are able to do this. Most of you are familiar with these methods. After receiving your Dana offering, I will email you a “Thank You for your Donation” letter that you can use for your taxes.
1) Make a check out to The Mountain Hermitage, pop it in an envelope and mail it to: The Mountain Hermitage (attn Marcia) PO Box 807 Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557-0807 Marcia would receive 100% of your Dana offering unless you specify otherwise.
2) Use our online donation platform Network For Good. Click here to get to the Network For Good page. You can use your credit card on this site and Network For Good will charge a 5% merchant service fee. Marcia would receive 100% of your Dana offering unless you specify otherwise.
TEACHING SCHEDULE 2023
MARCH 26 – APRIL 16, 2023 THREE-WEEK SPRING HERMITAGE RETREAT for Experienced Students with Marcia Rose & assistant teacher Kristina Baré at Hyperslow Retreat @ San Geronimo Lodge, Taos, NM
TEACHING SCHEDULE 2024 (more information coming soon)
15-16 Day Self Not-Self and the Creative Process Retreat for Experienced Students with Marcia Rose (overall guiding teacher & seeing/drawing teacher), Wynn Fricke (movement teacher), and guest writing teacher TBD
TEACHING SCHEDULE 2022
- FEBRUARY 16 – MARCH 2, 2022 SAMATHA-VIPASSANA RETREAT for Experienced Students with Marcia Rose & assistant teacher Kristina Baré @ Blue Sky Retreat Center @ San Geronimo, Taos, NM
- RECORDINGS of the Feb-Mar 2022 Samatha-Vipassana Retreat with Marcia Rose & assistant teacher Kristina Baré
TEACHING SCHEDULE 2021
- JANUARY 31, 2021 Sunday International Sangha ONLINE MINI RETREAT 9:30am – 12:30pm (MST) with Marcia Rose
- Recording of January 31, 2021 Mini-Retreat “Stepping Into Retreat” with Marcia Rose
- FEBRUARY 11 – 18, 2021 Metta-Upekkha Online Dana Retreat with Marcia Rose & assistant teacher Kristina Baré
- SATURDAY, APRIL 10, 2021 International Sangha Online Mini-Retreat “The Great Blessings of Our Precious Human Existence” with Marcia Rose
- TUESDAY, MAY 25, 2021 An Evening with Marcia Rose @ Santa Fe Vipassana Sangha ONLINE 6:15pm – 8:15pm MDT
- OCTOBER 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, NOVEMBER 7, 14, 21, 2021 8 Week Mini-Retreat Series “The Seven Factors of Enlightenment” with Marcia Rose ONLINE Sunday International Sangha 10am-12:30pm (Mountain Time)
- RECORDINGS of the 8 week Mini-Retreat Series “The Seven Factors of Enlightenment” with Marcia Rose
TEACHING SCHEDULE 2020
- January 29, 2020 EVENING SIT AND DHAMMA TALK with Marcia Rose @ Taos Mountain Sangha, Taos, NM Topic: The First Free Women – Poems of the Early Buddhist Nuns.
- THREE SATURDAY MORNING CLASSES with Marcia Rose @ Taos Mountain Sangha, Taos, NM Topic: The Liberating Embrace of Anicca/Impermanence February 29, 2020 & March 7, 2020 & March 14, 2020 9:30 am – 11:45 am
- RECORDINGS of SUNDAY INTERNATIONAL SANGHA ONLINE GATHERINGS with Marcia Rose APRIL through AUGUST 2020 9:30am – 11am
- May 19 – 24, 2020 RESIDENCY TEACHING with Marcia Rose @ Santa Fe Vipassana Sangha in Santa Fe, New Mexico Included will be a day-long retreat on Saturday, May 23, 2020
- June 24, 2020 ONLINE EVENING SIT AND DHAMMA TALK with Marcia Rose Topic: Buddhist Practice As a Way of Life @ Taos Mountain Sangha, Taos, NM
- Recording of June 24, 2020 TMS talk.
- July 22, 2020 ONLINE EVENING SIT & DHAMMA TALK Topic: Cultivating & Supporting a Resilient Heart-Mind @ Taos Mountain Sangha
- Recording of July 22, 2020 TMS talk.
- August 26, 2020 ONLINE EVENING SIT & DHAMMA TALK Topic: Compassion: The heart-beat of the Buddha’s teaching @ Taos Mountain Sangha
- Recording of September 23, 2020 ONLINE EVENING SIT AND DHAMMA TALK with Marcia Rose Topic: Faith & Doubt @ Taos Mountain Sangha
- September 27, 2020 SUNDAY INTERNATIONAL SANGHA ONLINE MINI RETREAT 9:30am – 12:30pm (MDT)
- Recording of September 27, 2020 Mini-Retreat Anapanasati/Mindfulness of Breathing Meditation
- October 25, 2020 SUNDAY INTERNATIONAL SANGHA ONLINE MINI RETREAT 9:30am – 12:30pm (MDT)
- Recording of October 25, 2020 Mini-Retreat
- Recording of October 28, 2020 Online Evening Sit and Dhamma Talk with Marcia Rose @ TMS.
- November 8 – 12, 2020 FIVE-DAY ONLINE/AT HOME SAMATHA/CONCENTRATION RETREAT for Experienced Students with Marcia Rose and teaching assistant Kristina Bare
- November 22, 2020 SUNDAY INTERNATIONAL SANGHA ONLINE MINI RETREAT 9:30am – 12:30pm (MST)
- Recording of November 22, 2020 Mini-Retreat with Marcia Rose
- December 1st & 5th, 2020 Marcia Rose @ Santa Fe Vipassana Sangha in Santa Fe, New Mexico Included will be an evening talk on Tuesday, December 1st & a day-long retreat on Saturday, December 5th
- December 27, 2020 SUNDAY INTERNATIONAL SANGHA ONLINE MINI RETREAT 9:30am – 12:30pm (MST)
- Recording of December 27, 2020 Mini Retreat with Marcia Rose Self Not-Self & the Creative Process